Valentine’s Day is one of those fun holidays where I feel free to do exactly what I want without anyone batting an eye. It’s one of those holidays, like Halloween, where you can take it or leave it-no one’s going to get offended either way. I choose to take it and have some fun with it!
In this post, I came up with a few ideas on how to celebrate love. Whether it’s self love, romantic love, family love etc., let’s turn our focus to it. Let’s delight in the small things that we are in control of. I’ve never been a romantic person-in fact, my husband and I are quite terrible when it comes to being romantic together but I do love LOVE and I will take this holiday to celebrate the many blessings in my life! Hopefully I can inspire you to do the same!
Give Yourself a Cute Manicure Using Decals!
I typically preach nail polish is pretty toxic but I also believe you should do what gives you joy and makes you feel your best. At the moment, doing my nails is making me happy. Adding a little heart can be super simple with nail stickers!
Find 1-DAY delivery heart decals HERE! I also highly recommend THIS at home gel nails kit. It’s easy, the manicure looks so good and it lasts well over a week! Only drawback is the nails must be soaked off with acetone but other than that, doing my own gel nails has given me such a fun boost in the middle of winter! Not to mention the money it saves skipping the nail salon. The full gel kit is cheaper than a manicure!
Make a Rose Scented Body Splash Spray!
Making sprays/toners are super easy and can be multi-purpose. I love making linen sprays, yoga mat refreshers, hair perfume and face spritzers! For Valentine’s Day I made a perfumed body spray using witch hazel, rose water and a few heavenly smelling essential oils!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Spray Bottle-I used a 2 ounce glass spray bottle Check how cute THESE are?! You can use whatever you have around the house. 2 ounces is not necessary. Reuse an old toner bottle!
- Witch Hazel-I love using rose or lavender scented witch hazel!
- Rose Water-You can also use food grade rose water.
- Essential Oils-I used lavender and ylang ylang in my spray because they are both known to be aphrodisiacs!
To make a body splash, use equal parts of witch hazel and rose water. Then add 25 drops of essential oil per 2 ounces. I used 22 drops of Lavender essential oil and 3 drops of Ylang Ylang.
You can find all of these ingredients at your local health food store or I have linked them to Amazon.
*I have added quite a lot of essential oils to this recipe because it’s meant to be somewhat of a perfume. If you are wanting to make a face toner, I recommend following a recipe like THIS.
Make a V-DAY Playlist!
Spotify makes it so easy to make the perfect playlist of all your favorite love songs! If you’re stumped, I made one you can listen to HERE!
Create Fun DIY Paper Decorations:
How cute is this DIY Valentine’s tree? Get more details HERE. You could take this a step further with kiddos and have them write on the hearts something nice about someone? It would be a fun family night to read them and have everyone guess who wrote them and who they are about!
Love this paper garland! Find out more HERE.
These simple paper heart chains are super easy to make. In fact, my 11 year old just made quite a long chain to decorate her room. HERE is a great tutorial and where this picture is from.
Make a Bracelet w/ Your Partner or Kids Name
When they saw what I was doing, I had to promise they could have their name bracelet as soon as I took this picture-lol. Guess I’ll make more!
Wear Pink Makeup!
It sounds silly but baby pink blush on the lids and cheeks and even a red lip is such a feminine, romantic look and it’s so easy! For the full tutorial go HERE.
While saying no to sweats is a full time job for many of us, Valentine’s is the perfect day (or 3) to give in.
- I like to make cupcakes and add a tiny bit of red food coloring to the icing for baby pink cupcakes! Find heart shaped sprinkles or add conversation hearts for an extra fun touch!
- How about pink pancakes?
- You sure can’t go wrong with a box of chocolates! I love the mystery each chocolate holds and have no shame in taking one bite and putting it back. Champagne pairs quite well with chocolate as well, just sayin’.
- How about pink candy kabobs? I tried these for my 14 year old’s sleepover party and they were so easy and fun! The skewers were easy to find in the kitchen gadget section of the grocery store and $1 bags of candy were cheap and fun! You could even add fruit and marshmallows.
Have a Romantic Movie Marathon!
If you have been following for a while, you know this is a big stretch for me. I’m a horror/suspense kind of girl but I gave this a lot of thought and came up with some good movies that hopefully qualify as Valentine’s worthy flicks!
- Twilight Saga-Oh come on-Edward and Bella might have one of the best love stories in history!
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- The Notebook-Even I can admit it’s a beautiful movie and a love to be inspired by.
- Where the Crawdads Sing-Good book, good movie. Sweet love story with unexpected twists and turns!
- How to Make an American Quilt-It’s seriously in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
- Romeo & Juliette-Leo and Claire version.
- Dirty Dancing
- Princess Bride
- Moulin Rouge-Can’t beat this soundtrack.
- Say Anything-The moment I saw this movie I knew I wanted a guy to stand under my window with a boom box. I’m still waiting…..
- Practical Magic-One green eye one blue, favorite shape is a star, can flip pancakes and rides a horse backwards. IYKYK
- Walk the Line-Always inspired by June Carter Cash and how she figured out unconditional love with boundaries.
Take the opportunity to make this day special even if you aren’t a Valentine’s Day fan. I’m not a lovey-dovey kind of person and really can’t remember one Valentine’s Day that was romantic but I think it’s a lovely opportunity to practice self love! If none of my suggestions ring a bell-grab some wine and a box of chocolates and relax! Treat yourself!